Have you considered the future needs of your special needs child?

On Behalf of | Aug 11, 2021 | Blog, Guardianship And Conservatorship |

Estate planning may be a more complicated process if one of your children has special needs. While you may establish a special needs trust, you also need to consider practical elements of your child’s day-to-day life as he or she grows up.

According to the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, there are several services that special needs adults may require. Because you know your child the best, you understand what kind of care and services your child may need as he or she ages. You may want to set up these services or leave instructions for further care as part of your estate plan.

Residential services

One element that you need to consider is where your child will live, especially as he or she becomes an adult. Will your child live with a sibling or a guardian after your death? In this situation, your child may need services to help retain the skills needed to live with family. You should make sure that everyone understands what kind of services your child will need.

Will your child live in a group home for special needs adults? These homes can help your child with several aspects of daily life, including the following:

  • Dressing
  • Bathing
  • Managing health care needs
  • Performing household tasks
  • Running errands

Before your death, you may want to decide which group home may be a good fit for your child and arrange a way to pay for this care.

Medical services

Special needs adults may have specific medical needs. Your child may need specialized equipment so that he or she can have more independence. You should compile a list of equipment that your child currently needs or may need in the future. Additionally, you should leave instructions about where your child’s caretakers can obtain these items.

If you plan for the future early, you can increase the chances that your child’s caregivers will have all the information that they need to provide for your child.

FindLaw Network